Thomas B. Boggs was responsible for obtaining the property for Vanport in 1835. At this time, the democratic nominee for President was Martin Van Buren. Vanport got the first part of its name from “Matty Van” and the second part of its name (“port”) because of the amount of pottery that was shipped out from the location. Vanport finally became a township in 1890.
Home » About Vanport